Albon hoping for 'a lot less noise' at Monza

Red Bull’s Alex Albon is expecting a “quieter” race weekend at Monza, with the media’s interest and scrutiny subsiding after Spa.

Albon’s maiden race with Red Bull Racing yielded a fifth-place finish that drew praise from team boss Christian Horner, who admitted having been “impressed” all weekend by the British-Thai racer’s performance.

However, the Milton Keynes-based outfit’s RB15 won’t be on its most friendly terrain at Monza, and neither will Albon actually.

“It’s actually not one that I love driving-wise,” he acknowledged in Red Bull’s Italian Grand Prix preview.

“There’s just something about it but I still managed to fight for third there in F2 last year and I was a tenth off pole, so it’s not a disaster!”

Contrary to Spa, where a grid penalty rendered qualifying a futile exercise, Albon will have an opportunity to push for a performance on Saturday afternoon, and hopefully pick up on race day where he left off in Belgium.

“Monza will really be a continuation of the work we did in Spa and I’ll keep on learning as much as I can,” he added.

“I think it’s a good thing Spa and Monza are back-to-back races as after the race on Sunday, I jump in the sim on Wednesday and keep everything fresh in my mind ahead of the weekend.

“That way I don’t need time to re-understand the car.

“I think on my side we’re going to focus more on qualifying runs which is fun, whereas in Spa we looked more at race runs because of the penalty.”

Finally, the 23-year-old is expecting the media’s attention to ease at Monza after last weekend’s initial buzz and scrutiny.

“Last week was a bit of a blur and there was so much to take in, maybe that’s partly why I looked so chilled!” he said.

“I’m guessing, and hoping, there will be a lot less noise and attention on Thursday so that it’s a bit quieter for me!”

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

The post Albon hoping for ‘a lot less noise’ at Monza appeared first on F1i.com.


Source: http://www.f1i.com/category/news/feed/

Italian GP secures new five-year deal with F1

The Italian Grand Prix at Monza will remain on Formula 1’s calendar until at least 2024 confirmed on Wednesday ACI president Angelo Sticchi Damiani.

The event had been listed as “being finalized” on the sport’s 22-race calendar released by Liberty Media last week.

Sticchi Damaiani first shared the good news with the thousands of fans attending this afternoon’s Ferrari event on the Piazza Duoma in Milan dedicated to the 90th anniversary of the legendary manufacturer.

“It is just like winning a Formula 1 Grand Prix, a very hard and important one, fought to the finish line – which counts as not one but five titles,” said the president of the Italian automobile Club.

“It was a challenging journey to get to this outcome and is one of those race victories that makes us forget every risk, every effort, and leaves inside a great joy and an uncontrollable desire to celebrate.”

F1 CEO Chase Carey said: “This is one of four Grands Prix that were part of the 1950 championship and still features in the calendar and along with the British Grand Prix, it is the only one to have been held every year since then.

“History, speed and passion are words that motorsport fans associate with Monza. The feeling one gets at this Grand Prix is truly unique, as is the circuit’s distinctive podium.

“I would like to thank the ACI, especially its President, Angelo Sticchi Damiani for its efforts and this five year deal means that another part of the jigsaw for the Formula 1 of the future, is now in place.

“The championship features many historic venues such as Monza and also new countries in which the already vast fan-base of our sport can grow.”

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

The post Italian GP secures new five-year deal with F1 appeared first on F1i.com.


Source: http://www.f1i.com/category/news/feed/